Perhaps you have just found out that you are pregnant, or you are already a few weeks along you might already know all about pregnancy related fatigue! From the moment of conception your body starts working very hard to create and prepare the perfect environment for the brand new life growing inside of you. So much is required of your body to put your baby’s life support together through the placenta. Usually by month 4, the placenta is complete and fatigue starts to subside. It usually returns in the 3rd trimester as your body starts working harder to carry your growing baby.
Now that we know what causes fatigue lets look at a few things you could do to making living with it a little easier. It can be rather debilitating at times but if managed properly it does not need to get you down.
Here are a few tips to help alleviate the potential fatigue
- Make sure you get all the rest and TLC (tender love and care) you deserve! The fatigue that you are experiencing is absolutely legitimate and to be expected. Now is the time to allow yourself to rest and to take extra special care of your needs. Once baby arrives your time and attention will constantly be divided and your needs will often be secondary. Some moms work all day and are not in a position to take an afternoon nap but if you are in a position to do so then please do! Also, try to avoid keeping your schedule jam packed. It will really help you to have an hour or two every day that can be spent relaxing. At those times consider using a maternity body pillow , it will help you attain the very best comfortable position, so you can actually sleep once you do take the time to relax for a quick nap.
- Allow your family and those around you to help carry the load that you usually carried on your own. Get your partner or husband on board to help with your other children or to even just help with cooking and cleaning that needs to be done. Maybe even organize a babysitter from time to time so that you can go out and enjoy some time alone. Every little thing helps!
- Make sure that you are getting enough sleep at night. Maybe even add an extra hour or two just to give you that extra bit of energy during the day. Remember the maternity body pillow? There are lots of choices to fit you lifestyle and comfort level.
- Eat properly and ensure that your body is getting the right amount of calories. A calorie deficiency will only make you feel worse. It will help to eat a few small healthy meals throughout the day to keep your energy levels up.
- It is a great idea to get moving and to either continue with your exercise program, or to start doing something if you didn’t exercise before. Exercise during pregnancy is guaranteed to rejuvenate you. Lying on the couch might be the most attractive option but that will leave you feeling even more drained.
At Ultimate Mum Pillows we talk to hundreds of new moms every year and listen to their stories and how our maternity body pillows improved their quality of life during and after pregnancy. Please share yours and we may even use it here on our blog.